1 lb. pork andouille sausage, sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
1 tbls. vegetable oil
2 green bell peppers, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 scallions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 1/2 c. long-grain white rice
1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
3 1/2 c. water
- Cook sausage in oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon
- Cook peppers, celery, onion, scallions, garlic and 1/2 tsp. of salt in remaining fat from sausage, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in rice, sausage, can of tomatoes, water, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered for 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve.