8.26.2010

Spinach, Stawberry and Candied Walnut Salad

My husband's and my good friends, Jeff and Jessica, are having their first baby on Monday. They invited us and another couple over for dinner before they enter the world of parenthood and sleep deprivation. She made an excellent meal as usual and I offered to bring anything she needed and a salad was requested. I didn't want to bring a "normal" salad with veggies and croutons so I searched and found two recipes I thought looked amazing so I took elements from both and combined them to make this salad! It turned out great and I will definitely make it again!

Ingredients:

1 bag baby spinach
1 bag romaine
1/2 purple onion, diced
1 carton of fresh strawberries, sliced
1 c. dried cranberries
1 c. walnut halves
1/2 c. sugar
Shaved Parmesan cheese (it calls for Feta but i can't have that right now, tear)
Raspberry vinaigrette

Directions:

- Place walnuts and sugar in a medium skillet and cook on medium to medium low heat until sugar melts.
- Pour candied walnuts on foil paper to cool.
- Meanwhile combine all other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add walnuts and toss salad well.
- I usually let people add their own cheese and dressing. Everybody likes different amounts!
- Next time I make this I might add rotisserie chicken to it and make it a meal!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails