I got this recipe on foodnetwork.com courtesy of Paula Deen and it did not disappoint. I was looking for chicken dishes that were a little out of the box and I hit the jackpot with this one. I will admit it is a little time consuming but totally worth it!
3 c. chopped, cooked chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
1 (8 oz.) package shredded colby and jack cheese blend
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. chopped red bell pepper
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 tblsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 (15 oz.) package refrigerated pie crust
- In a large bowl combine the chicken and next 7 ingredients.
- Unroll 1 pie crust onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut out rounds using a 3-inch cookie cutter.
- Re-roll dough as needed.
- Repeat procedure with remaining pie crusts, making 12-15 circles total.
- Lightly brush edges with water and place one heaping teaspoon of chicken mixture into the center of the round.
- Fold the dough over filling, pressing the edges with a fork to seal.
- Repeat procedure until all rounds have been filled, folded and sealed.
- Arrange empanadas on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.