I found this recipe on Pinterest and should have known when I saw the picture it was a Pioneer Woman recipe. It was so good and so easy to make and it's got a kick to it too!
2 cups Unprepared Rice, I used one Boil in the Bag
3 cups Chicken Broth/stock
2 whole Tomatoes, cut into bite size pieces
1 whole Onion, chopped
4 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning
1 can Black Beans, drained
1 lb pound Lean Ground Beef (I used ground Turkey)
1 jar (8 Ounce) Salsa Verde
1 1/2 packages Mexican Cheese Blend
8 ounces Enchilada Sauce
1 can Corn, Drained
Sour Cream, to taste
Cilantro, to taste
- Boil rice in the chicken broth for 10 minutes.
- Saute tomatoes, onion and garlic in a table spoon of butter.
- Add some of the taco seasoning and stir.
- Add black beans and cook until heated.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- In a separate pan brown meat and add remaining taco seasoning and water to make the taco meat.
- In a 9x13 baking dish pour 1/2 of the salsa Verde in the bottom of the pan.
- Place a layer of tortillas over the sauce (tortillas will over lap)
- Divide the rice mixture in half and spread over tortillas.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over the rice mixture.
- Add another layer of tortillas and top with enchilada sauce.
- Top with all of the meat, the corn and remaining rice mixture.
- Pour remaining salsa Verde over the top.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes.
- I served it with a dollop of sour cream and sliced avocado.