This is my dad's recipe. He is the king at making this soup! It is the best and we always look forward to fall and winter because we eat this a lot and can never seem to get enough! It's pretty easy and makes your house smell amazing! This recipe makes a ton of soup (enough for 6 people and plenty of leftovers) so plan accordingly. Also, my dad just sort of dumps things in so there aren't measurements...he just does everything to taste.Ingredients:
2 whole chickens (make sure you remove all the guts before you boil them)
3 large onions, cut in large chunks
1 bag carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cartons of sliced mushrooms
1 bag celery, sliced
2 bags of rice
8 oz. bag of no yolk noodles
salt, a lot
pepper, a lot
dill weed, a lot
onion powder, some
herbs de provance, a little
- Put each chicken in its own pot covering it with water. Add 1/2 of an onion, a little dill, lots of salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, boil for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove chickens from water and de-bone.
- Return chicken to water and add all your veggies.
- Add more of all the seasonings, cover it and let it simmer for 1 hour (the longer you let it simmer the better it tastes)
- If some of your liquid has evaporated add a little chicken stock.
- 10 minutes before you are ready to eat add the noodles and the rice and bring back up to a boil. - Check the seasonings and adjust before serving.