My Aunt Melinda is famous for her Sweet Potato Casserole. It would not be Thanksgiving without it. This casserole is so good that when I was in college she would make an extra casserole for me so I could have the leftovers to take back to Lubbock with me. When my sister was studying in London and missed Thanksgiving she wished my aunt could have mailed her a casserole but settled for having it during Christmas instead. It is so good you could put it in a pie crust and eat it for dessert. YOU MUST TRY this recipe. You will NOT be disappointed!
3 c. mashed sweet potatoes
3/4 stick of butter
1 c. evaporated milk
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. each of vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon
1 c. crushed corn flakes
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. light brown sugar
3/4 stick of butter at room temperature
- Peel and cut your sweet potatoes and boil in a large pan until fork tender.
- Drain and mash in a large bowl
- Add all remaining filling ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- For the topping; mix all topping ingredients in a medium bowl. It is easiest if you use your hands. The mixture will be crumbly. After filling was baked for 15 minutes add topping and return to oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.